El Pino Rojo comes from 1400 vines planted in 1996 in the Pago Barranco Oscuro Pinot Noir (100 %), about 1300 meters high, with shale and clay soils . Trellis with double cord royat formation . The yield does not exceed 2 kilos per plant , less than 25 hectoliters / hectare.
Aged 20 months in European oak barrels .
Handpicked by a rigorous selection of grapes by foot strain . Maceration with the whole bunch in stainless steel tanks where fermentation begins spontaneously form naturally , without adding yeast or any other product. No manipulation of the fermentation temperature but the freshness of autumn evenings advantage ( the winery is 1280 meters high) . Malolactic fermentation has taken place also naturally during the aging in oak barrels in the underground cellar . It has not been used * Sulfur Dioxide or any other additives or preservatives . Unclarified . The bottle lightly filtered to prevent ingress of solid particles.
El Cortijo Barranco Oscuro was built in the late nineteenth century after being moved from a previous location near the ravine that crosses the lands of the farm . It was a large farmhouse at the time and the area, with over 100 hectares of land in a place where small farms and a spectacular winery that ran through the lower house , with about 400 square meters and a capacity of more than 100,000 predominates liters . A winery that was probably built to change the direction of an area traditionally dedicated to the distillation but unfortunately he saw truncated his project, at birth , by the early arrival of phylloxera .
With the arrival of phylloxera and the virtual disappearance of the vineyard, which was replaced mainly by almond, also it came to the commercial perspective of the winery and after the distribution of the farmhouse among several heirs and the subsequent division of the winery making wine was as something residual. Manuel Valenzuela was born in a small town in Granada, near Guadix, called Marchal, in 1943. Years hard. It was the second youngest of a family of nine children, it looked good for the study and father allowed him to continue in the village school. After studying degree in Guadix, thanks to the efforts of his modest family, he moved to Madrid to train as a chemical expert, but Manuel did not like the prospects open to him. They were very moved years and moved to Barcelona, where he met Rosa, his companion of fatigue since. Soon they were forced to emigrate to France, first south, then Paris, two children were born there and went to Manuel had his first contacts with the world of wine.
At the end of the year 79, Manolo and Rosa, with his friend Jordi, bought the part of one of the heirs consisting of one third of the house farmhouse with its corresponding piece of cellar and 15 hectares of land, mostly almond rainfed on slopes, land abandoned terraced plots and a few with availability of irrigation to grow vegetables. Then there was vineyard but two tanks full of traditional wine coast which gave a good account of them, their friends and traditional customers of the previous owner.
The first planting took place at the Cerro Las Monjas, just over 1 hectare. Pursuant to the advice of the locals traditional American standing in the area, the Albarcoquillo (Rupestris Lot) planted, later grafting hand with the typical varieties of the Contraviesa: Montua, Muscat of Alexandria, Pedro Ximenez, Red Alicante ( dyer), also named as Nicamusén heard, Tinto Aragon (Grenache) and Tinto Varetúo (Tempranillo).